Paris Permenter & John Bigley's
Caribbean Family Tripper travel guide

Your guide to Caribbean family vacations from a husband-wife team of professional travel writers and guidebook authors.

Become a CaribbeanFamilyTripper fan on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, subscribe to our RSS feed:
Site Features
Family resorts
Caribbean travel news
Where to Go?
Antigua & Barbuda
British Virgin Islands
Cayman Islands
Dominican Republic
Mexican Caribbean
Beaches Resorts 

Search CaribbeanFamilyTripper.com



Passports for Children Under Age 14

Also see: Getting Your First Passport, Passports for Teens

Special rules cover passports for children under the age of 14. Basically, you’ll need to prove the citizenship and identify of both your child and yourselves as parents as well as proof of your relationship to the child.

For proof of citizenship, you need to provide on of these items for your child:

  • Certified U.S. birth certificate (one with a raised seal)
  • Previous fully valid U.S. Passport
  • Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240)
  • Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350)
  • Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization

You also need to prove that you are the child’s parents. Parents need to supply one of the following:

  • Certified U.S. birth certificate (with parents' names
  • Certified Foreign Birth Certificate (with parents' names and translation, if necessary
  • Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) (with parents' names)
  • Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) (with parents' names)
  • Adoption Decree (with adopting parents' names)
  • Court Order Establishing Custody
  • Court Order Establishing Guardianship

That establishes your relationship to your child. Next, you need to prove who you are with one of the following:

  • Valid Drivers License
  • Valid Official U.S. Military ID
  • Valid U.S. Gov't ID
  • Valid U.S. or Foreign Passport with recognizable photo
  • Naturalization/Citizenship Certificate from BCIS with recognizable photo
  • Alien Resident Card from BCIS

It’s easiest for both parents to appear together to obtain the child’s passport. If that’s not possible or practical, though, one of you can appear with the proper paperwork and with some additional proof from the second parent that it’s OK for the child to obtain a passport. This proof can be:

  • a notarized statement of consent authorizing passport issuance for the child (see Form DS-3053, Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 14, available online, or a written statement with the same information on a sheet of paper from the non-appearing parent that includes the child's name and date of birth, as well as parent's identification information or a copy of his/her ID may be used for this purpose)
  • evidence of your sole authority to apply for the passport. This proof can be a birth certificate listing only one parent, an adoption decree listing only one adopting parent, a court order that gives you the permission to travel with the child, a court document that declares the non-applying parent incompetent, or the death certificate of the other parent.

Once this is all accomplished, you’ll need to provide two passport photos of your child just like those mentioned in the above section on adult passports.



Caribbean Information

All About the Caribbean
Educational fun
Family activities, watersports
Family cruises
Passports, entry requirements
Photo galleries
Safety & health
Tourist information

Weather, hurricane season

Company Information

About Us
Press Room
Contact Us


Copyright 2006-2011
CaribbeanFamilyTripper.com is a division of LT Media Group LLC
All rights reserved
No text or photos from this site may be used without permission of LT Media Group LLC